Interesting Thoughts Regarding the Son of God

(The God character speaking)
“‘When we three spoke ourself into human existence as the Son of God, we became fully human. We also chose to embrace all the limitations that this entailed. Even though we have always been present in this created universe, we now became flesh and blood. It would be like this bird, whose nature it is to fly, choosing only to walk and remain grounded. He doesn’t stop being a bird, but it does alter his experience of life significantly’…

‘Although by nature he is fully God, Jesus is fully human and lives as such. While never losing the innate ability to fly, he chooses moment-by-moment to remain grounded. That is why his name is Immanuel, God with us, or God with you, to be more precise.’

(The human character speaking)
‘But what about all the miracles? The healings? Raising people from the dead? Doesn’t that prove that Jesus was God – you know, more than human?’

(The God character speaking)
‘No, it proves that Jesus is truly human.’

‘...I can fly, but humans can’t. Jesus is fully human. Although he is also fully God, he has never drawn upon his nature as God to do anything. He has only lived out of his relationship with me, living in the very same manner that I desire to be in relationship with every human being. He is just the first to do it to the uttermost – the first to absolutely trust my life within him, the first to believe in my love and my goodness without regard for appearance or consequence.’

(The human character speaking)
‘So, when he healed the blind?’

(The God character speaking)
‘He did so as a dependent, limited human being trusting in my life and power to be at work within him and through him. Jesus, as a human being, had no power within himself to heal anyone.’

…‘Only as he rested in his relationship with me, and in our communion – our co-union – could he express my heart and will into any given circumstance. So, when you look at Jesus and it appears that he’s flying, he really is … flying. But what you are actually seeing is me; my life in him. That’s how he lives and acts as a true human, how every human is designed to live – out of my life.

A bird’s not defined by being grounded but by his ability to fly. Remember this, humans are not defined by their limitations, but by the intentions that I have for them; not by what they seem to be, but by everything it means to be created in my image.’”
~From The Shack by Wm. Paul Young

Comments

Elsa said…
Great quote... This has been the source of great conversation for us lately. It really makes the role of Christ as fully human more understandable. So often I have heard others argue over whether Christ could really have understood us fully (esp in regard to temptation) if he was also fully God. Knowing that he was limited (by choice) to become like us blows the doubts out of my mind.
I hope you'll share more from The Shack in the future.
Alphonsus said…
Kevin, along these lines (the question of the divinity/humanity of Christ) I think it would be interesting for you to read up on the Councils of Ephesus and Chalcedon. This whole question caused great controvery in the early church as you know.
See
http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/05491a.htm
and
http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/03555a.htm
(Also the nicean council http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/11044a.htm
Also, on miracles, this is a very good article: http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/10338a.htm

Popular Posts