The Story

“And we find that we cannot read very far in the Story [Scripture] without admitting that it is indeed the story of our life. On page after page we find that we are deprived of the luxury of thinking, ‘Aha! Look at the trouble Adam and Eve, or Cain, got themselves into. I would never do that.’

Alack. It is not a matter of whether or not I would: I have. A thousand times I have murdered my brother. Perhaps not with a rock in a field. But by a small remark in someone’s ear, or the lift of an eyebrow, that has for its effect some diminishing of my brother in someone’s estimation. Or by a snide or cutting or discourteous remark to my brother himself.

Somehow, oddly, the Story seems to be piercing right to the marrow; and then I remember a memory verse from my childhood… ‘For the Word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder… of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart’ (Heb 4:12).”
~Thomas Howard

Comments

Popular Posts