Taking Sin Seriously

“...I have sinned, Lord, I have sinned against Thee;
O wretched man that I am,
I have sinned, Lord, against Thee
much and grievously,
in observing lying vanities.

I conceal nothing: I make no excuses.
I give Thee glory, O Lord, this day.
I denounce against myself my sins.
Indeed I have sinned against the Lord,
and thus and thus have I done.
I have sinned and perverted that which was right,
and it profited me not.

And what shall I now say?
or with what shall I open my mouth?
What shall I answer seeing I have done it?
Without plea, without excuse, self-condemned am I.
I have destroyed myself.
O Lord, righteousness belongeth unto Thee,
but unto me confusion of face.
And Thou art just in all that is brought upon me
for Thou hast done right,
but I have done wickedly.
And now, Lord, what is my hope?
Art not Thou, Lord?
Truly my hope is even in Thee,
if hope of salvation remaineth to me,
if Thy lovingkindness vanquisheth
the multitude of my iniquities.

O remember what my substance is,
the work of Thy hands,
the likeness of Thy countenance,
the reward of Thy blood,
a name from Thy name,
a sheep of Thy pasture,
a son of Thy covenant.
Forsake not Thou the work of Thine own hands...

...Magnify Thy mercies towards the utter sinner;
and in season, Lord, say to me,
Be of good cheer; thy sins are forgiven thee;
My grace is sufficient for thee.
Say unto my soul, I am thy salvation.
Why are thou cast down, O my soul?
and why are thou disquieted in me?
Return unto thy rest, O my soul;
for the Lord hath dealt bountifully with thee.

O Lord, rebuke me not in Thine anger,
neither chasten me in Thy hot displeasure.
I said, I will confess my transgressions unto the Lord;
and Thou forgavest the iniquity of my sin.
Lord, all my desire is before Thee;
and my groaning is not hid from Thee.
Have mercy upon me, O God,
according to Thy lovingkindness:
according unto the multitude of Thy tender mercies
blot out my transgressions.
Thou shalt arise, and have mercy on me, O Lord,
for the time to favour me, yea, the set time, is come.
If Thou, Lord, shouldest mark iniquities,
O Lord, who shall stand?
Enter not into judgment with Thy servant:
for in Thy sight shall no man living be justified.

~Excerpt from the private devotions of Lancelot Andrewes
(from the Confession of Sin section of the First Day)

Comments

Popular Posts