The Search

“Much time had I spent in vanity, and had wasted nearly all my youth acquiring the sort of wisdom made foolish by God. Then once, like a man roused from deep sleep, I turned my eyes to the marvelous light of the truth of the Gospel, and I perceived the uselessness of ‘the wisdom . . . of the rulers of this world, who are doomed to pass away’ (1 Cor 2:6). I wept many tears over my miserable life and I prayed that I might receive guidance to admit me to the doctrines of true religion.”
~St. Basil

“I will not hesitate to search if I find myself in doubt; I will not be ashamed to learn if I find myself in error. . . . Let him continue along with me, whoever with me is certain; let him search with me, whoever shares my doubts; let him turn to me, whoever acknowledges his own error; let him rebuke me, whoever perceives my own.”

“Within me was a hunger of that inward food, Yourself, my God.”

“What I feared to part with was now a joy to surrender.”
~St. Augustine

“Pray that, above all things, the gates of light may be opened to you; for these things cannot be perceived or understood by all, but only by the man to whom God and His Christ have imparted wisdom.”
~St. Justin Martyr

Comments

Popular Posts