O my soul...

“O my soul, thou hast valued the wells of Canaanite
thoughts more than the veined Rock, Jesus, the
Fountain of wisdom from which flow the rivers of
divine knowledge.

When Thy servant Moses struck the rock with his rod,
he prefigured Thy life-giving side, O Savior, from which
we all draw the water of life.

Like Joshua the son of Nun, search and spy out, my
soul, the land of thine inheritance and take up thy
dwelling within it, through obedience to the law.

Rise up and make war against the passions of the flesh,
as Joshua against Amalek, ever gaining victory over
the Gibeonites, they deceitful thoughts.

O my soul, pass through the flowing waters of time
like the ark of old, and take possession of the land of
promise, for God commands thee.

As Thou has saved Peter when he cried out, ‘Save
me,’ come quickly, O Savior, before it is too late, and
save me from the beast. Stretch out Thine hand and
lead me up from the deep of sin.

I know Thee as a calm haven, O Lord...

     Have mercy on me, O God, have mercy on me.

~St. Andrew of Crete

Comments

Popular Posts