The Creator

“Know that no one can escape my hands, for I am who I am, whereas you have no being at all of yourselves. What being you have is my doing: I am the Creator of everything that has any share in being. But sin is not of my making, for sin is nonbeing. Sin is unworthy of any love, then, because it has no part in me. Therefore, my creatures offend me when they love sin, which they should not love, and hate me, to whom they owe love because I am supremely good and gave them being with such burning love. But they cannot escape me. Either I will have them in justice because of sin, or I will have them in mercy.

Open the eye of your understanding, then, and look at my hand, and you will see that what I have told you is true.

So in obedience to most high Father, she raised her eyes, and she saw within his closed fist the entire world. And God said:

My daughter, see now and know that no one can be taken away from me. Everyone is here as I said, either in justice or in mercy. They are mine, I created them, and I love them ineffably...”
~St. Catherine of Siena (from The Dialogue)

Comments

Popular Posts