No Comparison

“I know men; and I tell you that Jesus Christ is not a man. Superficial minds see a resemblance between Christ and the founders of empires, and the gods of other religions. That resemblance does not exist. There is between Christianity and whatever other religions the distance of infinity....

Everything in Christ astonishes me. His spirit overawes me, and His will confounds me. Between Him and whoever else in the world, there is no possible term of comparison. He is truly a being by Himself. His ideas and sentiments, the truth which He announces, His manner of convincing, are not explained either by human organization or by the nature of things....

The nearer I approach, the more carefully I examine, everything is above me-- everything remains grand, or a grandeur which overpowers. His religion is a revelation from an intelligence which certainly is not that of man....

One can absolutely find nowhere, but in Him alone, the imitation or the example of His life....

I search in vain in history to find the similar to Jesus Christ, or anything which can approach gospel. Neither history, nor humanity, nor the ages, nor nature, offer me anything with which I am able to compare it or to explain it. Here everything is extraordinary.”

~Napoleon as cited by Vernon Grounds

Comments

Popular Posts