In Christ

“Whoever loves father or mother more than me is not worthy of me;”
~Matthew 10:37a

“Let my father say, ‘Love me.’ Let my mother say, ‘Love me.’ Am I to say to these voices, ‘Be quiet’? Aren’t they making a just demand? Am I not to pay back what I have received? My father says, ‘I begot you.’ My mother says, ‘I bore you.’ My father says, ‘I reared you.’ My mother says, ‘I nursed you.’ Perhaps these voices have every right to say, ‘You want to be carried on his wings; don’t fly as a debtor; pay back the advance we made you.’ Let us answer our fathers and mothers, when they say to us, with every right, ‘Love us’; let us answer, ‘I do love you, in Christ; I don’t love you instead of Christ. Be with me in him; I won’t be with you without him.’”
~St. Augustine

Comments

Popular Posts