Humdrum...

“For most of us the conflict with evil does not commonly come down to our being obliged to stalk alone down a sandy main street between store fronts with the locals lounging on the stoops lining the street and the Bad Guy sauntering toward us with his hand hovering near the butt of the pistol just visible from the holster dangling from a wide, loose leather belt. It is much more likely to present itself to me in the form of a choice between letting a slightly derogatory remark about someone slip from my lips or refraining from saying it. My struggle is never as colorful and heroic as John Wayne’s always seems to be. It’s very humdrum, this business of moving along through life, trying to make a thousand small choices every day in behalf of charity, and at the same time fending off all the cleverly veiled impulses activating themselves in behalf of my ego at the expense of my neighbor...”
~Thomas Howard

Comments

Popular Posts