C. S. Lewis

“I have received lots of letters from people telling me about their experiences of hearing Lewis [C. S. Lewis] lecture. Some remembered his days at Cambridge, when he would walk into a lecture theatre, still wearing his hat and scarf, and begin delivering his lecture as he walked to the podium. Another letter was especially interesting. It was from someone who had been an undergraduate at Oxford during the Second World War, and had heard Lewis speak about the Christian faith one evening. ‘The atmosphere was electric,’ he told me. ‘My friends and I were all ready to repent and be baptized, right there and then!’

Lewis’s impassioned speeches and writings on the Christian faith have earned him a reputation as one of the greatest Christian apologists of all time. When he began his studies at Oxford University in January 1919, Lewis hoped to be remembered as an atheist poet—someone who destroyed the plausibility of God through his verbal eloquence and the power of argument. Yet in the end, it was the plausibility of a dull and joyless atheism that crumbled before him.”
~Alister McGrath

“On the one side, a many-islanded sea of
poetry and myth; on the other, a glib and
shallow rationalism. Nearly all that I loved
I believed to be imaginary; nearly all that
I believed to be real I thought grim and
meaningless.”
~C. S. Lewis

Comments

Popular Posts