St. Isaac Jogues


(Picture found here)
Isaac Jogues was a “missionary to New France (Canada), starting in Quebec and working among the Hurons and Petuns in the area of the Great Lakes. This was a rough assignment – not only were the living conditions hard, but the locals blamed the ‘Blackrobes’ for any disease, ill luck, or other problems that occurred where they were. Captured on 3 August 1642 by the Mohawks, enslaved, tortured and mutilated for thirteen months, he taught the Faith to any who would listen. With the help of local Dutch settlers he finally escaped and was sent back to France to recover.”

While recovering in France he decided to return to his mission work in New France (Canada). He declared, “My heart tells me that if I have the blessing of being used for this mission, I shall go and I shall not return; but I would be glad if our Lord should fulfill the sacrifice where he began it, and that the small amount of blood I shed in that land should turn out to be an advance payment for that which I would give from all the veins of my body and heart.”

In 1644 he returned to New France (Canada) to continue his work with the natives and negotiate peace with the Iroquois. He was tortured, decapitated, and martyred by the Iroquois tribe on October 18, 1646.

(Picture of the area where St. Isaac Jogues' body was thrown after his death in modern day Auriesville, NY)

Comments

Popular Posts