The Love That Found Him

    Allan (not his real name) came to me at my previous church in Hamilton, wanting to be baptized. He was a child (or victim) of the “me decade” and felt compelled to leave home and family to find himself and, of course, lost himself, becoming a stranger to himself and the world, wandering the streets of Vancouver trapped in a world of drugs. One night he managed to get off the street for a night in one of the shelters. He crashed into the bunk, staring up at the ceiling, listening to the groans, and trying not to be overcome by the odors of the strangers in the bunks around him. He didn’t know where he was, he didn’t know who he was, but he wanted it to be over with and he considered how he might take his own life.
    He was shaken out of this thoughts when someone came in and called out a name from another world.
    “Is Allan Roberts here?”
    That had been his name once but he hadn’t heard it for some time. He hardly knew Allan Roberts anymore. It couldn’t be him being called.
    The caller persisted, “Is there anybody named Allan Roberts here?”
    No one else answered and so Allan took a risk. “I’m Allan Roberts (or used to be).”
    “Your mother’s on the phone.”
    My mother, no, you’ve made a mistake. I don’t know where I am, how could my mother know where I am?
    “If you’re Allan Roberts, your mother’s on the phone.”
    Unsure what to expect, he went to the desk in the hall and took the receiver. “Allan,” it was his mother, “It’s time for you to come home.”
    “Mom, I don’t know where I am, I have no money, you don’t know what I’m like anymore. I can’t go home.”
    “It’s time for you to come home. There’s a Salvation Army officer who’s coming to you with a plane ticket. He’s going to take you to the airport to get you home.”
    She hadn’t known where he was, she just called every shelter and hostel for months until she found him.
    He went home and, supported and loved by his mother, who had never ceased to know him even though he had forgotten himself, and influenced and inspired by the faith that had sustained his mother’s hope and love, he began attending church services and one day came to my office seeking to be baptized.
    He did not find his own way to my office . . . A path, not of his own making, [was] made by the love that found him, that knew him better than he knew himself, and invited him to “follow me.”
~From a sermon by Hugh Reed, as quoted in a book by Paul Wilson

Comments

Popular Posts