In Honor of My Wife on Valentine’s Day

I am the most blessed man in the world because I am married to a sub-creator, a genuinely great artist. Not just any artist… I found the one…

In case you are not married to an artist or aren’t close with any, let me give you a taste of what it is like with some quotes from someone who really understood the artistic mind (G. K. Chesterton):

“A small artist is content with art; a great artist is content with nothing except everything.”

“Artists of a large and wholesome vitality get rid of their art easily, as they breathe easily…”

“There is at the back of every artist's mind... the landscape of her dreams; the strange flora and fauna of her own secret planet; the sort of thing she likes to think about. This general atmosphere... governs all her creations, however varied.”

“The dignity of the artist lies in her duty of keeping awake the sense of wonder in the world. In this long vigil she often has to vary her methods of stimulation; but in this long vigil she is also herself striving against a continual tendency to sleep.”

“The whole difference between a construction and a creation is exactly this: that a thing constructed can be loved after it is constructed; but a thing created is loved before it exists.”

“The world will never starve for want of wonders, but for want of wonder.”

“A yawn is a silent shout.”

~G. K. Chesterton

Thank God for the genuinely great artists of the world! They enhance our lives in innumerable ways, they help to keep our souls from starving, they help us stay engaged in life, and most importantly keep us focused on His wonders. I won’t lie. The creative mind can be a bit scary for those who are too caught up in calculating the risks. I sometimes fall into that safe mode. However, my artist is trustworthy with a heart of gold and a heart for others. She continually seeks God to direct her gifts and passions.

I do not claim to be very creative, have used words from others on this site, and will continue to do so. However, every once in a while I will speak. Here are some parting thoughts of my own for my wife on this special day…

It is true that our desire to find and experience perfect happiness and fulfillment will never be completely met in this life. I don’t disagree with that point. However, while that may be true, I have nonetheless experienced deep moments of happiness and fulfillment on this earth. The deepest moments have been with my Creator and with my wife. She is such a gift from God. She truly points me to Him and gives me glimpses of the pure joy that He gives so effortlessly and that we will know fully in the life to come. He speaks through her, cares through her, loves through her, etc. I cannot thank God enough for the honor of being her husband.
~Kevin

Comments

Popular Posts