God Spills across the Grass

I read God but it was really gold, gold
spills, it does, across the grass

like pennies 
or an afternoon

or that afternoon a week ago
you and me up at the lake

how I said I don’t want to believe
in nothing

as we sat on driftwood, talking,
our pockets full of beach glass

but there is no way to know
if God comes after this.

I couldn’t find words for
how it would be, walking

without you, there, if,
someday, and if so,

I’d want to know you were there
somehow and that prayer  

is not just another word for sadness.
There are no answers

except maybe in the way light
spills across the water,

or the way
deer we never saw

left tracks while we were talking.
Maybe it’s all a gift, spilled—

the way I went on thinking
about how trust works

and then the potter in his shop
pulled a bug from my hair

and set it free and said send
me a check when we didn’t have

enough and if we can’t trust
each other what have we?

It’s how I live and I trust you,
he said, and gold or God

or something just like that,
spilled into our hands.

~Jeanie Tomasko

Comments

Popular Posts