Patches of Godlight


(Mystic light by Thierry Hennet - found here)
“Beauty is the first thing we notice and love. It is the ambassador, or the sales representative, for truth and goodness. That’s why Dostoevsky said it would save the world.

I once had to teach a Sunday School class, kindergarten level, and I was talking about Heaven. A boy asked me how he would recognize God in Heaven. What a question! Only the Holy Spirit could answer it, and fortunately He did. I blurted out: ‘He will be the most absolutely beautiful thing you ever saw!’ The kid said to me, ‘You’re right.’ I was put in my place, and given a passing grade by the real teacher.

All beauty is what C. S. Lewis called ‘patches of Godlight’ in our shadowy woods.

All beauty makes us happy. To people who doubt that spiritual beauty makes you happier than physical beauty, I say: go live with Mother Teresa’s Missionaries of Charity for half a day, and you will see a beauty and a happiness that you never saw before in this world, and that you will see even more of in the next if you really want to.

Beauty is irresistible. Truth is easily resistible. We are very good at deceiving ourselves. Goodness is easily resistible. We can shut up our consciences very easily. But we cannot shut up that nightingale in the heart with the heartbreaking voice that demands its food.”
~Peter Kreeft
 

Comments

Popular Posts