Jesus Christ, My Sure Defense

(Found here)

English Translation

Jesus Christ, my sure Defense
And my Saviour, ever liveth;
Knowing this, my confidence
Rests upon the hope it giveth,
Though the night of death be fraught
Still with many an anxious thought.

Jesus, my Redeemer, lives!
I too unto life must waken;
He will have me where He is,
Shall my courage then be shaken?
Shall I fear? Or could the Head
Rise and leave its members dead?

Nay, too closely am I bound
Unto Him by hope for ever;
Faith’s strong hand the Rock hath found,
Grasped it, and will leave it never;
Not the ban of death can part
From its Lord the trusting heart.

Author: (attributed to) Luise Henriette Electress of Brandenburg or Otto Freiherr von Schwerin
Chorale Melody: Jesus, meine Zuversicht (Zahn 3432b) | Composer: Johann Crüger
Vocal Works by J. S. Bach: Chorale Jesus, meine Zuversicht, BWV 365

Comments

Popular Posts