Emerging (excerpt)

(Found here)

Not as in the old days I pray,
God. My life is not what it was. . .
Once I would have asked healing.
I go now to be doctored. . .
to lend my flesh as manuscripts of the great poem
of the scalpel. I would have knelt
long, wrestling with you, wearing
you down. Hear my prayers, Lord, hear
my prayer. As though you were deaf, myriads
of mortals have kept up their shrill
cry, explaining their silence by
their unfitness.

It begins to appear
this is not what prayer is about.
It is the annihilation of difference,
the consciousness of myself in you,
of you in me. . . 
I begin to recognise
you anew, God of form and number.
There are questions we are the solution
to, others whose echoes we must expand
to contain. Circular as our way
is, it leads not back to that snake-haunted
garden, but onward to the tall city
of glass that is the laboratory of the spirit.

~R. S. Thomas

Comments

Popular Posts