God’s Love

“My love, the Lord said, is something I can only lavish prodigally; it is immeasurable; I can in no way divide it up in order to pass it on. You, with your small love, divide it and then pass it on, thimbleful by thimbleful. But with the great, the true, the one and only love, one must not act so. Maybe you need to lose sight of your love, to learn to give your love away. Then it might be, when you spend your little bit of love without calculating, you would suddenly receive My love to lavish. Then your poor, pitiful love would turn into my love, into Christian love. That might happen.

That is what the Lord said. And then He lavished His love on all those who yearned for it, and on others, too. And He had so much love to dispense that He even poured out the love that was simply waiting there perhaps for someone to come who had need of precisely that.

We stood on the wayside, breathless. We would have gladly given away our love too; it seemed to us, though, as if the Lord wanted to wait until we were at a point where we could take part peacefully. And yet He seemed to be saying: I cannot wait, because even when it works within the bounds of time My love knows no calculation. The point is simply this: to love, now, totally.”
~Adrienne von Speyr (from Lumina – New Lumina)

Comments

Popular Posts