The Atlantic

(Found here)

     In the same way, if a man has once looked at the Atlantic
     from the beach . . .
     ~C. S. Lewis

I remember dissecting the dark mysteries of theology
one night   on a Florida beach in my youth
the Atlantic breathing as though alive
     my friends & I having followed
     the red ribbon of I-75
     all the way from Detroit to the coast
It was as though   by our free will   we were predestined
to oversimplify the vastness we faced
to participate in the cartography of the Holy Ghost
     experiencing the salty taste
     the wind stirring high in the palm trees
     & the joy of the shore   as our strength
Essential   though like a futile attempt to embrace
the sea   to put that entire ocean in a bottle
to be slipped into a message

~D. S. Martin  (from Conspiracy of Light: Poems Inspired by the Legacy of C. S. Lewis)

Comments

Popular Posts