Prayer

(St. John Henry Newman)

“I know, O my God, I must change, if I am to see your face! I must undergo the change of death. Body and soul must die to this world. My real self, my soul, must change by a true regeneration. None but the holy can see you. Like Peter, I cannot have a blessing now, which I shall have afterwards. ‘You cannot follow me now, but you shall follow hereafter.’ Oh, support me, as I proceed in this great, awful, happy change, with the grace of your unchangeableness. My unchangeableness here below is perseverance in changing. Let me day by day be molded upon you, and be changed from glory to glory, by ever looking toward you, and ever leaning on your arm. I know, O Lord, I must go through trial, temptation, and much conflict, if I am to come to you. I know not what lies before me, but I know as much as this. I know, too, that if you are not with me, my change will be for the worse, not for the better. Whatever fortune I have, be I rich or poor, healthy or sick, with friends or without, all will turn to evil if I am not sustained by the Unchangeable; all will turn to good if I have Jesus with me, yesterday and today the same, and forever.
Amen.”
~St. John Henry Newman

Comments

Popular Posts