Prayer

(Christ Washing the Feet of the Disciples by Henry Ossawa Tanner)

When a person I trust most betrays me,
please teach me to be strong.
When the senses take over my emotions,
please teach me to see my feelings
for what they are. When a car covers
my white dress with splashes of dirt
from the street, please teach me not to curse.
Whenever I flatter myself, teach me
not to lie to my child. When my wishes,
in all their innocence, are assumed wicked,
please teach me to be patient.
Whenever I see a disbeliever, please
teach me to see the God in him.
When days turn gloomy, teach me
to sleep like a baby. When nights
are stormy, teach me to leap to the moon.
When I fall totally in love, please teach me
to stay silent. And teach me to live
without sun in my body that is like a sunflower.
Better still, teach me to live totally
without sun. When the world is merciless,
teach me to be merciful. Whenever
I get injured, teach me to heal the wounded.
Teach me to believe in individuals,
to overcome my Self. Please teach me
to look as a saint on this immoral world.
When what seems to be a good word
is hurtful, please teach me
not to react. And when feelings
become tainted, teach me not to weep.
Whenever my gentle soul is hurt
by other sensitive people, please teach me
to forgive. When the pure world
is darkened by the innocent, please
teach me to get angry at myself,
at no one else. When the person closest
to me does not listen to my troubles,
please teach me to love him.
Teach me to lose.
Teach me to back off.
If you wish to change my fate,
I beg you: teach me to bow my head.
Please…

~Tanakoz Tolkynkyzy (translated by Patricia McCarthy)

Comments

Popular Posts