A Christmas Gift

After many years spent in Jerusalem translating the Word of God, St. Jerome finished his grand project just days before Christmas. To celebrate his accomplishment, St. Jerome decided to spend Christmas Eve in nearby Bethlehem, in one of the many grottoes that dot the countryside. According to the ancient account, sometime around midnight Jesus appeared to him, saying “Jerome, what will you give Me for My birthday?”

“Divine Infant,” St. Jerome replied, “I give You my heart.”

“That is very good,” said the Holy Child, “but give Me something else.”

St. Jerome answered, “I give You my prayers and all my heart's affections.”

“That also is good, but give Me something else.”

“I give You,” the Saint, wishing to leave nothing behind, offered, “all that I have and all that I possess.”

“Very good.” The smile radiating from His Holy Face showed that He was pleased. There is, however, nothing which can compare with the Divine Love and Generosity of God. “But,” the Boy continued, “I desire that you give Me still something more.”

“But, Divine Infant,” Jerome cried, “I have nothing, what do You desire me to give You?”

“Jerome,” said Jesus eagerly, “give Me your sins!”


What Child Is This?

What child is this, who, laid to rest,
On Mary’s lap is sleeping?
Whom angels greet with anthems sweet,
While shepherds watch are keeping?
This, this is Christ the King,
Whom shepherds guard and angels sing:
Haste, haste to bring him laud,
The Babe, the Son of Mary.

Why lies he in such mean estate,
Where ox and ass are feeding?
Good Christian, fear, for sinners here
The silent Word is pleading.
Nails, spear, shall pierce him through,
The cross be borne for me, for you:
Hail, hail, the Word made flesh,
The Babe, the Son of Mary.

So bring him incense, gold and myrrh,
Come, peasant, king, to own him;
The King of kings salvation brings
Let loving hearts enthrone him.
Raise, raise the song on high,
The virgin sings her lullaby:
Joy, joy, for Christ is born,
The Babe, the Son of Mary.

Tune: Greensleeves
Music: Sixteenth century English Melody
Text: William Dix (re-post)

Comments

Popular Posts