Prayer for the Right Attitude to Life


(Icon of St. Symeon the New Theologian - found here)
“I do not know how I came into the world;
Nor what the things here in it are.
What my sight is, O my God,
And what the objects that I see, I cannot tell.
How all we men are vain,
And have no proper judgement of reality!
Yesterday at least I came and tomorrow I shall go,
And I think to be immortal yonder.
That Thee are my God I confess to everyone,
And yet deny Thee daily in my deeds.
I teach that Thee have made each living thing;
And yet without Thee struggle to have all.
Thy rule extends above, below
And yet I am not feared to strive against Thee.
Let me the needy one, me most miserable;
Disburden all the sickness of my soul
Crushed, alas and broken into bits.
By vanity, by foolish arrogance.
Grant me to be humble, grant me a hand of help;
And cleanse my soul’s pollution.
And give me tears of repentance;
Love’s tears, tears of liberty;
Tears cleansing my mind’s darkness.
And filling me with heavenly radiance!
For Thee it is, the world’s Light;
The Light of my poor eyes, I wish to see –
I who fill my heart with life’s evils,
Suffering much of affliction and of envy.
From those who have worked my exiles:
From those, rather, who are my benefactors;
Who are my masters, my true friends:
To whom, O Christ, instead of ill give blessing:
Eternal, rich, divine;
Prepared by Thee for all the ages;
For those who deeply long for Thee, love Thee.”

~St. Symeon the New Theologian
   

Comments

Popular Posts