Nature Versus Grace

(Found here)

CHRIST:
MY CHILD, I want you to become a spiritual man, that is, one who is wise enough to recognize the various forms of self-deception and the many graces which come your way each day. There is in your nature a deep selfishness which does not always seek what is really good for you. It often wants what merely seems good. Listen to Me and learn the difference between the mistaken desires of nature and the truly good desires which I send by My grace.

2. Nature is selfish. It will try to enjoy everything on earth and still gain Heaven. Even where sin is involved, nature attempts to make excuses, for self and looks for reasons to favor self. Grace simply looks for My Will, turning away from all occasions of sin and self-deception.

3. Nature hates all restraint. It wants to follow its own likes, its own desires, and its own will. Grace is interested in self-control, self-conquest, and obedience to authority. It seeks to please Me in everything and in every way. It looks for opportunities to suffer something more for My sake.

4. Nature is interested in self. It works for its own interests. In whatever it does, it looks to its own advantage and profit. Grace follows My interests. It tries to help as many people as possible, and leaves all self-interest in My hands.

5. Nature loves honor and respect. Grace accepts all honor and respect in My name and offers them to Me, knowing that without Me, man is nothing.

6. Nature is afraid of shame, contempt, or insults. Grace does not mind such things because it cannot forget how much shame, contempt, and insults I embraced for the sins of men.

7. Nature loves bodily ease and comfort. Grace loves to keep busy so that it may present a fuller life to Me.

THINK:
Seeing these differences between nature and grace, I ought to become more eager to do things for God and to forget this selfish nature of mine.

PRAY:
O Holy Ghost, Giver of grace and Sanctifier of all men, I wish that I could give You the unselfish devotion and loyalty which You deserve. You are my God. So often throughout the day, You send me good thoughts and holy desires. How long will I go on paying so little attention to Your holy inspirations? Grant that I may become wise in the ways of nature and grace. Let me become what I should have been long before now. I want now to follow what You desire of me. When You show me sin in my daily life, let me hate it and avoid it. When You tell me how I am to live, let me not be a coward who puts things off. My God, lead me on toward Heaven’s glorious life each hour of the day. Amen.

~Anthony Paone (from My Daily Bread: A Summary of the Spiritual Life, Simplified and Arranged for Daily Reading, Reflection and Prayer)

Comments

Popular Posts