On Peace, Quiet, and Trust – Hymn Excerpts

(Peace and quiet by Paulius Malinovskis)

Be still, my soul: thy God doth undertake
To guide the future, as He has the past.
Thy hope, thy confidence let nothing shake;
All now mysterious shall be bright at last.
Be still, my soul: the waves and winds still know
His voice who ruled them while He dwelt below.

Be still, my soul: begin the song of praise
On earth, believing, to Thy Lord on high;
Acknowledge Him in all thy words and ways,
So shall He view thee with a well pleased eye.
Be still, my soul: the sun of life divine
Through passing clouds
Shall but more brightly shine.

~From “Be Still, My Soul” – Words: Katharina von Schlegel


And let all who toil
Let them come to the water
And let all who are weary
Let them come to the Lord
All who labor without rest
How can your soul find rest
Except for the Lord?

~From “Come to the Water” – Words: John Foley


When peace like a river attendeth my way,
when sorrows like sea billows roll;
whatever my lot, thou hast taught me to say,
“It is well, it is well with my soul.”

~From “It Is Well with My Soul” – Words: Horatio Spafford


Drop thy still dews of quietness,
till all our strivings cease;
take from our souls the strain and stress,
and let our ordered lives confess
the beauty of thy peace.

~From “Dear Lord and Father of Mankind” – Words: John Whittier


Ye fearful saints, fresh courage take;
The clouds ye so much dread
Are big with mercy, and shall break
In blessings on your head.
Judge not the Lord by feeble sense,
But trust him for his grace;
Behind a frowning providence
He hides a smiling face.

~From “God Moves in a Mysterious Way” – Words: William Cowper


Those He saves are His delight,
Christ will hold me fast;
Precious in His holy sight,
He will hold me fast.
He’ll not let my soul be lost;
His promises shall last;
Bought by Him at such a cost,
He will hold me fast.

~From “He Will Hold Me Fast” by Ada Habershon


What have I to dread, what have I to fear,
Leaning on the everlasting arms;
I have blessed peace with my Lord so near,
Leaning on the everlasting arms. 

~From “Leaning on the Everlasting Arms” – Words: Elisha Hoffman


We will not be burned by the fire;
He is the LORD our God.
We are not consumed, by the flood;
Upheld, protected, gathered up,
We will feast in the house of Zion.
We will sing with our hearts restored.
‘He has done great things,’ we will say together;
We will feast and weep no more.

~From “We Will Feast in the House of Zion” – Words: Sandra McCracken and Joshua Moore

Comments

Popular Posts