End of Day

(Found here)

We pass the cows on their way
   to the milking shed
and the farmer’s easing hands.

Frogs are gladly chorusing
   like little gibbons
in the dark reeds by the soak.

We cross the fallow paddock
   to a stand of trees
surrounded by burnt bracken.

The fire has found a refuge
   in the deep hollow
at the base of a dead tree.

In the absence of rabbits
   I slip back the bolt
and lay the rifle aside.

My sons collect sticks and roots
   to stoke the jarrah
tree’s self-consuming furnace.

A pair of pygmy bats hunt
   and even dogfight
in the twilight and the smoke.

‘Did you bring the bullet, Dad?’
   I toss the cartridge
that misfired into the fire.

We run for cover and cheer
   in shock and joy at
the expected explosion.

We are happy together
   my small sons and I
here at the dark end of day.

~Andrew Lansdown

Comments

Popular Posts